Hey there! Long time no see! Trust me…long summer. My YouTube explains it all…
Anyway, today I was evaluating just how many recipes I have to share with you especially as we move into my favorite season for baking/cooking. There are a lot! Therefore, never mind me as I roll out a couple of my favorites that somehow got stuck in my archive!
What I have for you today is a Caribbean favorite.
My husband candidly shares with me every time he makes these, sweet memories of his lovely grandmother making these Jamaican cornmeal fritters for him all the time!
I love them just as much as my hubby, so I decided to share them with you as well.
Perfect Recipe for Jamaican Cornmeal Fritters
This is a *perfect* recipe for those who want to try their hand at Caribbean food!
It is my hope that over the next few weeks, the taste of the islands I introduce will be delicious and inspiring.
If you aren’t doing a “mashup” of Caribbean dishes, serve these Jamaican cornmeal fritters beside something else like soyrizo (vegan chorizo), or scrambled tofu (vegan version of scrambled eggs)….you get it.
Oooh! Oooh! I know!
They go PERFECT beside fabulous Spiced Beans in Coconut Milk with Steamed Jasmine Rice dish 100%! Go check that out and add these fritters!
JAMAICAN CORNMEAL FRITTERS
©Sweet n’ Savory Life
Recipe type: Side Dish/Bread
- 1½ cup corn flour or masa harina
- ½ cup GF AP flour
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ cup room temperature water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Oil for frying
- Place a medium-large frying pan with about ½ cup oil on the stove.
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- While it’s heating, mix all ingredients into a bowl (will take on a thick pancake consistency).
- Once the oil is hot in the pan, add several large dollops of cornmeal mixture into the pan.
- Fry for 5 minutes or so on each side until golden yellow.
- Remove fritters when evenly golden yellow on both sides, and place on a paper towel.
The reason why you are removing the fritters and placing them on a paper towel (on a plate) is that the excess oil can have somewhere better to go than to sit on top of your fritter. Now, if you don’t mind a little oil on your lips, then be my guest, but this way just makes for a better presentation with less oil.
Here they are to feast your eyes on!
I Think You’d Also Love…