Whoa! Is that Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Scrambled Tofu?
It is! It is!
Lately, there has been this big push in my home toward eating less bread. Yes my friend, even for a person that is gluten free, having an obsession with bread is still very real!
I mean, when we first went gluten free back in 2010, it was honestly an impossible thing to find gluten free breads that were not hard and dense. So…we weren’t addicted anymore (or so we thought). We virtually had to kiss goodbye everything – baguettes, sandwich bread, cookies, muffins, dinner rolls, croissants, pancakes, you name it. If it required flour, it was clearly not meant to be gluten free.
However, something very interesting happened in 2012. More and more, almost like wild fire, gluten free became the “it thing” and all of a sudden there were excellent flours to make soft bread, dinner rolls, donuts, and biscuits galore!
And what did that mean? We could get back to our obsession with waffles, pancakes, muffins, and toast for breakfast!
For some, eating a lot of simple carbs isn’t detrimental, but for most of my family, it is.
In walks wholesome vegetable and fruit dominated breakfasts that are most of all, full of protein.
We all search for protein in the morning, right? Especially if you are into working out religiously like my husband is.
That is where this awesomely delicious Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Scrambled Tofu recipe comes into play.
Sure, you can jazz up tofu like scrambled eggs any morning, but it takes a really special morning to make this Italy-Meets-America vegan pesto scrambled tofu breakfast dish.
Without further wait, here is what you need to do to make this dish happen at your home…
- Pesto Sauce:
- 1-1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup pinenuts, toasted
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 small-medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt, to taste
- Tofu Eggs:
- One 14 oz. pack of extra-firm tofu, drained
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Mrs. Dash Table Blend, original
- Sea salt, to taste
- Olive oil, to cook
- For the pesto sauce, place pine nuts in a pan on the stove over medium heat and cook until lightly toasted and fragrant.This should be a very quick process, so don't leave the stove unattended!
- Next, remove pine nuts from burner, turn off stove, and then add the toasted pine nuts, and all other pesto ingredients to a food processor, or high powered blender, and blend until smooth.
- This pesto recipe makes more pesto than will even be needed for this recipe, so store leftovers!
- For the tofu scramble, in a large frying pan over medium high heat, add oil.
- While the oil heats, drain tofu from it's packaging, pat the tofu dry, and crumble it into big chunks.
- Add tofu to the oil, and begin stirring it until it begins frying on all sides.
- Allow tofu to cook for about 3 minutes, then add the needed seasons, chopped onions, and sun-dried tomatoes. Allow this to cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the scramble is looking almost finished, add chopped scallions, and allow to cook for a minute or two more.
- Finally, add pesto to the scramble, stir to incorporate the sauce, and remove scramble from heat.
- Serve with gluten free toast, or in a yummy gluten free tortilla wrap.
And, when you are done with all of that…The best of your whole *nearly* twenty minutes awaits you.
I present, the best Pesto Scrambled Tofu on the planet!
Hey! That reminds me… why don’t you serve this along side of my beautiful buttermilk biscuits here!