And here we are….
We have reached another year of grocery store and kitchen craze in pursuit the most perfect Christmas holiday. Time has certainly flown this year! I seriously do not know where the year went.
Anyway, this past week my church had a very nice Christmas program. I loved it. It was filled with some of the most beautiful music. Ahhhh! Doesn’t music just make the season perfect? I know it does for me.
So! After service, our church arranged for a special fellowship lunch. Knowing this the day before, I decided to chip in and make a nice warm soup to pair well with the warm hearts that pervaded the place, and geez, did my soup turn out fantastic; it was a home run!
In fact, I had several people asking me about it, so much so that I thought, “why not post a recipe?”…. I mean, I know that once a recipe passes my husband’s taste test, I know it’s good, but with the affirmation of others I was even more motivated and excited about this one, and I just know you and your family will love it too. It’s just perfect for wintery evenings.
This soup is flavorful, creamy, and honestly e-a-s-y to make! My perfectly creamy vegan potato soup is something any vegan can be proud of.
Here is what you will need to do:
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 whole medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegan chicken broth (6 cups water + 4 tablespoons vegan chick’nish seasoning)
- 4 tablespoons potato starch
- 3 cups unsweetened original cashew or soy milk
- 6 medium/large russet potatoes, peeled and diced into cubes
- ¾ cup vegan sour cream
- Sea salt, to taste *if necessary* (Taste completed soup BEFORE adding salt!)
- Juice from ¼ of a small lemon for some zesty flavor enhancement (Optional)
- Prepare to cook by peeling and chopping: yellow onions, garlic, and potatoes first.
- Next, in a large pot over medium heat, add ½ cup vegan butter, plus the yellow onions and garlic. Stir, and allow this to cook until onions are translucent for about 3 minutes.
- While the onions and garlic are simmering in the butter, prepare the vegan chicken broth by adding to a large mixing bowl all of the water and vegan chicken seasoning, with the potato starch to thicken it).
- After 3 minutes or so have passed, add the vegan chicken broth/potato starch to the pot and stir, followed by the dairy free milk. Then, add diced potatoes and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Cover the large pot (with a little crack between the pot and pot cover for air and to prevent overflow), and allow the soup to cook for about 30-35 minutes over the medium heat.
- Once the potatoes in the soup are soft, add the vegan sour cream, optional lemon juice, and very optional sea salt (Notice: salt may not be needed! Taste your soup first). Stir for another minute and remove from heat, or use an immersion blender to puree for a smooth potato soup texture.
- Serve warm, topped with a few of the garnish options in a beautiful soup bowl.
The cool thing about this recipe is that it is customizable!
Feel free to add any garnish you choose. Some good options are:
Vegan sour cream
Dried red chili pepper flakes
Shredded vegan cheddar cheese
This recipe also can keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days, and honestly it becomes better by the day!
And here is your finished product!
Enjoy your Christmas, and may you ponder this as you go along your way…