I am super excited about sharing this recipe with you right now.
If you remember my Tofu Havarti Cheese Breakfast Burrito, you know that I love Mexican-American style/ Southwestern flavors. And to be honest, this recipe is nothing short of those flavors.
It’s a southwestern-style breakfast burrito that’s super savory, fun to make, and even better to eat.
Here is how it happened…
About a month ago I learned of Healthy Solutions Spice Blends. Excited about their company, and the creativity behind their variety of spice blends, I decided to take on their bold seasonings with another spin on a breakfast burrito for you.
And the reality is, I have found that you truly cannot go wrong with a quality taco/chili seasoning! It can be used in so many things believe it or not, and today’s recipe is definitely a flavor-filled victory!
This breakfast burrito is the *cream* of cheesy deliciousness, with a spicy and subtly smoked flavor derived from the intermingling of vegan chorizo – a Latin favorite, and the carefully blended spices.
No kidding, I may be busy, but I am never too busy to stop and make a delicious breakfast like this. All other breakfast burritos seriously pale in the face of making this one.
So here is the spice blend that sets the stage very well for this recipe. 1.46 oz. (which means it will last for many meals) of pure perfection, as it promises, “creating gourmet meals in minutes”.
Can’t believe it? Check out this breakfast burrito’s perfectly spiced, gorgeous filling?! You may never want a fast food or frozen burrito again – seriously!
Well for me it’s late. And before I go make this recipe again, let me share with you the recipe!
Trust me, you will love this one.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 7-8 oz. extra firm tofu
- 8 oz. (1 cup) frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 6 oz. vegan chorizo (or "soyrizo")
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ regular onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ to 1 tsp Healthy Solutions Spice Blend's authentic chili/taco seasoning
- Celtic sea salt, taste
- ⅓ cup shredded vegan cheese
- 2 gluten free tortillas
- Prepare onions, garlic, and potatoes by chopping and setting to the side onions and garlic, and defrosting the diced hash brown potatoes.
- Remove tofu from package, drain, and pat dry (with a paper towel).
- Place oil into a skillet, and place over medium/heat heat.
- When oil is warm, hand-crumble, or use a spoon to crumble tofu into large chunks.
- Add the tofu to the skillet, and cook tofu. After about two minutes, add turmeric and stir/cook tofu until it's tinted yellow and slightly tanned. This will take a few minutes.
- Next, add hash brown potatoes, and stir/allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Add vegan chorizo, onions, and garlic, and allow to cook until the onions are semi-translucent.
- Sprinkle Healthy Solutions Spice Blend's authentic chili/taco seasoning, and stir.
- After a few minutes, add vegan cheese, give the vegan chorizo/tofu a few stirs to integrate the cheese, and once the cheese begins to melt, remove from heat and cover skillet with a pot cover.
- For the tortillas, warm each over very low heat on a non-stick griddle. Once the tortillas are lightly warmed, remove them from the heat, place them on plates, then evenly distribute the vegan chorizo/tofu to the middle of the two tortilla wraps, and fold the tortillas "burrito style".
- Serve the burritos immediately as they are, or cut each into halves serving them with vegan sour cream, and parsley or chives for garnish.
I suppose the coolest thing about this recipe is that it does not require a lot of different spices. It’s convenient, and the meal is totally worth the wait! Enjoy your breakfast.