I felt kinda awkward today.
You see, I have been under this false assumption that it is spring right now, but apparently today wasn’t spring at all!
I mean, it was 77 degrees outside and tomorrow will be 83 degrees (fahrenheit)! And umm…. still living in the Bay Area of California in my mind, that is indeed summer-like weather, y’all!
So here I was in Lowe’s (of all hot stuffy places) in this black sweater, sleeved top, and heavy jeans “sweat” shopping, and no wonder at the checkout the cashier looked at me and stated passively, yet as a matter of fact, “It’s hot outside.”
Now tell me honestly, do you think she was trying to communicate something to me?
Well, needless to say when I got in the car I quickly evacuated my body from the sweater. Everything within me screamed “It’s hot today! Why did you wear winter clothes Bella!” Whew!
Recomposing myself, that is why on days like today, this peach, radicchio, and quinoa salad is refreshing. I don’t know, but this salad will just leave you feeling fresh both inside and out all day. Talk about a colorful salad that is sweet, tart, and just the refreshment you need. You’ll like this recipe for many reasons.
Also, this is the last chance to enter the Bob’s Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook giveaway where you can get some awesome goodies and the 281 recipe cookbook by following the *super easy* instructions below. I want you to win, so why wait – it’s easy!
To be forward about this recipe, there is power in it’s flavor combinations, and quinoa is it’s star!
Obviously, hailed as a superfood, quinoa is naturally gluten free and being one of the only plant foods that are a complete protein (yay), it is packed with: fiber, iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and much more!
Now you know why it’s a superfood huh?
So obviously, if you can get your hands on some BRM quinoa, especially as a gluten free or vegan individual – here is your protein pack; here is an excellent source of yummy wellness.
And what better way to stay up on your protein especially if you participate in an active lifestyle as I do, than by recipes such as this, or like the last one I posted, the Garden Vegetable Quinoa Chili.
I really hope you will try this!
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 2 large firm/ripe peaches, peeled and diced
- 1 head radicchio, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans*
- Prepare ahead of time your 2 cups of cooked quinoa according to package instructions, and allow this to cool before beginning salad preparations.
- Once the quinoa is cooled, begin salad by obtaining a small bowl and whisking together the oil, vinegar and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Next, in a large bowl, combine the prepared quinoa, peaches, radicchio and parsley.
- Add small bowl of dressing dressing to the salad, and gently toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with walnuts, and serve.
2. When peaches are not in season, use two 10 oz. cans of mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped instead.
3. Chopped toasted pecans, or roughly chopped toasted green pumpkin seeds (pepitas) or sunflower seeds can be used in place of the walnuts.
Like the recipe? Awesome. There is so much more where that came from!
The folks over at Bob’s Red Mill, as my sponsors for this, don’t just want you to drool at these awesome and creative recipes from their newest fully loaded cookbook, they want you to WIN the cookbook! So enter here right now, and get off to a good start before beach season!
How to Win is *EASY*!
1. Like Bob’s Red Mill on Facebook (You wanna keep up with what’s new, right?)
2. Like Sweet n’ Savory Life on Facebook (I am always rollin’ out yummy recipes)
3. Tell me your 2015 health goals (You may inspire me!)
4. Let me know that you did #1 and #2 in the comment as well as your #3 health goals :)
Have fun. Eat healthy. ~Bella