We are officially into spring around here (crossing my fingers that it stays), and the sun has been shining beautifully!
I just love this time of year best too because it’s sunny and still cool outside – not too hot or cold, and a great time of year for any type of food really.
And if around your neck of the woods resembles mine at all, with cold mornings, warm days, and cool nights, this recipe is perfect for dinner!
It’s my new favorite chili recipe – garden vegetable quinoa chili.
It is warm, spiced just right with a nice spring-like interplay of cilantro, radishes, bell peppers, and the ancient grain that everyone has come to love – quinoa (keen-waa).
Now stick with me for this one because at the end of this post, I have a giveaway to share with you, because if you love this recipe, I want to give you an easy chance to get this new cookbook, and a total pack of gluten free goodies for your next health kick!
Here is what I want you to win…
Before I share with you the recipe though, I thought I would share with you a word about the sponsors of this post (since that would be the proper way to say it). Bob’s Red Mill is honestly a company I believe in or else honestly, I would decline sharing.
See, when I first went vegetarian and then mostly vegan, I really did not have a standard for my food. I didn’t know much (or care much) where my food was sourced from, nor what company handled it.
However, the game changer was when I went gluten free. All of a sudden I became hyperaware of the quality of my food and I realized after watching almost every food documentary out there, that it did matter.
That is when I found Bob’s Red Mill. I didn’t know how long they had been on the market, but it was new for me and I was grateful. Not only were they a lifesaver in 2011 when there still weren’t many companies supporting those who had a gluten free lifestyle, but they were (and still are) also pioneers of quality.
And that is why, I share with you this recipe straight from there NEW cookbook! Bob’s Red Mill is a brand of integrity, and vegetarian or not, this recipe is perfect to share with friends and family!
So check it out, and at the end of this recipe, don’t forget to do the super easy tasks described to win not only their New 281 recipe Gluten Free Cookbook, but also a Gluten Free goodie pack shipped with love!
- 1-1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 organic zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 2 (14-19 oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14-19 oz. ) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups hot cooked quinoa
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Suggested Accompaniments:
- Unsweetened plain vegan yogurt
- Vegan Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped radishes
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini, red pepper, green pepper and onions; cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and hot pepper sauce, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Next, in a small bowl, coarsely mash half of the red beans with a fork. Stir mashed beans, whole red beans, black beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce into the pot; bring to a boil.
- Then, reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Stir in prepared quinoa.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with any of the suggested accompaniments, as desired.
Storage Tip: Store the cooled chili (without any accompaniments) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave using the Defrost function. Warm chili in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
How to Win is *EASY*!
1. Like Bob’s Red Mill on Facebook (You wanna keep up with what’s new, right?)
2. Like Sweet n’ Savory Life on Facebook (I am always rollin’ out yummy recipes)
3. Tell me your 2015 health goals (You may inspire me!)
4. Let me know that you did #1 and #2 in the comment as well as your #3 health goals :)
Have fun eating healthy this week & tomorrow is another chance to win so come back and comment and you will have two entries :)