If you are choosing to go traditional during holiday meal planning, but want something a little different, I have just the side dish for you!
It is a quick dish with so much savory deliciousness.
To be honest, I really wanted some truly traditional mashed potatoes (you know – with the soy milk, mounds of butter, all of that richness), but after all of my hard work at the gym this year, my body actually said “no” to that idea, and I agreed.
I decided on something that actually was much more nutritious and just as tasty! I didn’t look far – I chose sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes – mashed sweet potatoes.
Now, if you have never tried savory sweet potatoes, let alone savory mashed sweet potatoes, you are not alone. There are plenty of people who never have tried it. But here is what I will guarantee – you will LOVE it!
Mashed sweet potatoes as a dish is a very much welcomed addition to my holiday tradition, and every bit as good as mashed white potatoes.
And do you know what is better? It is so easy to make!
So while I am over here finishing up a ton of other recipes, let me get you on your way!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- ¼ cup vegan butter or vegan sour cream
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- sea salt, to taste
- Wash, peel, and chop sweet potatoes.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large pot of boiling water.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to boil until tender.
- Once tender, remove from heat, strain off water and place sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher, mash sweet potatoes until smooth.
- Add in the vegan butter or vegan sour cream, followed by the seasonings.
- Mix until desired consistency is reached.
And you are done – ready to serve and so easy!
Also, if you want to add a little sweetener to this, feel free. I would love to know what you used if you do! Enjoy!