Perhaps one of the hardest things to give up when attempting a vegan lifestyle – eggs. Let’s face it. Just type in Google images right now “breakfast ideas” and watch what comes up.
In fact, I will do it for you now and tell you what I got:
Pancakes (made with 1 egg).
Breakfast Burritos (made with egg whites).
Spinach and Mushroom Frittatas (made with 4 eggs).
Over easy egg and avocado (made with eggs…I guess you knew that).
Breakfast Biscuit Sandwich (made with meat and ….you have it…eggs).
Eggs are pretty impressive aren’t they? 100% the most popular breakfast selection – at least in America that is… (They love ’em in Europe too though, so I know that).
So that’s why the problem exists for people trying to go vegan. What are you to do about your morning breakfast when everything seems to center around eggs?
Well the answer may be tofu!
Tofu is a white, tasteless, block of curd derived from soybeans that is highly used in Asian countries and is surprisingly very delicious (when made delicious that is).
Tofu can be used to make everything from puddings, to scrambled eggs, to veggie burgers.
Being a person that use to like egg, I can say that tofu is more than a delicious replacement for both sweet and savory dishes, and as a scramble like this.
Here is a recipe for the most perfect, vegan, gluten free, sundried tomato tofu scramble with bell peppers, and olive oil, that is very savory and guaranteed good!
I have wanted to upload this recipe for a while now, and the time has come.
- 1 - 14 oz. tub of extra firm organic tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- ½ red pepper, julienned
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (olive oil & spice infused kind)
- 1½ to 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash table blend
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- ½ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Avocados (serve on side)
- Remove the tofu from the package that it comes in and drain, and pat dry (with a paper towel).
- Next, heat a large frying pan with the oil, on medium heat.
- Once the pan and oil have heated, semi crumble the tofu (not in small crumbles, but chunky ones), and add it to the pan.
- Begin stirring the tofu and then allow it to fry in the pan (stirring often) for the next few minutes.
- Next, add in turmeric and stir until well incorporated and tofu is tinted yellow.
- Then, add in all of the other seasonings, and stir.
- When all of the seasonings are added allow everything in the pan to heat while you cut julienne onions, red bell peppers, and sun-dried tomatoes. Add the vegetables to the pan.
- Stir again thoroughly and cook for another couple minutes.
- Finally, once the tofu is done cooking, and all seasonings and vegetables are added or adjusted according to liking, add chopped green onions, and give a final stir.
Serve with avocados, and for extra kick you can add sriracha sauce…oooh…who doesn’t love that stuff???