I remember those extremely busy days for my husband and I back between 2010 and 2011. I mean, don’t get me wrong, we are always busy, but I mean at that time we were just so busy that sometimes we couldn’t fathom the thought of cooking.
Yes, those type days exist, even for gluten free vegans…
That was an okay time though to be super busy, yet hungry because at that time we were living in Santa Cruz where you could find “fast” healthy food (if that makes any sense), relatively easy.
So if we didn’t or couldn’t cook on a specific day, we had a lot of healthy options to choose from still!
I know… for 98.9% of the USA, this is not the typical scenario.
Whatever the case, our go-to quick meal was always a basket of fresh vegetable spring rolls with sweet red chili sauce.
Yes, we use to love them with peanut sauce, but that was too high calorie, and when we discovered that the restaurant used Skippy regular peanut butter we were absolutely not interested (we watched the Thai restaurant get their order in for their peanut butter one day).
Anyway, so we always ordered spring rolls.
They were so good that honestly being hungry and sharing 4 spring rolls soon turned into us both getting our own basket, and of course then that was too much!
The good times.
Well, since that time, we no longer live a hop, skip, and a jump from Sawasdee Thai Restaurant and Star of Siam, and we now have to make our own spring rolls.
That is perfectly fine though, because now we can save the $7.99 for one basket of four spring rolls, and can make about 20 or more spring rolls for around the same price.
Of course that does not help us if we are too busy (now we just find vegan sushi), but when we get those spring roll cravings we do just what I want to share with you today.
So here is the recipe for some good Thai style spring rolls with a sweet red chili sauce.
- (a) For the Spring Roll
- 6 to 8 rice paper wrappers
- ½ cup glass/bean thread noodles or rice vermicelli, cooked according to package
- 1 head lettuce, chopped thin
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced thin
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded, and sliced thin
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tbsp mint leaves (optional)
- Warm water to soak rice paper wrappers.
- (b) For the Thai Sweet Red Chili Sauce
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup + 1½ tbsp sugar, or to taste
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic chili paste
- 1 red chile pepper, deseeded and minced
- ½ - ¾ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp organic corn starch + 2 tbsp cold water
- For the spring rolls, first, prepare vermicelli noodles according to instructions on packaging (basically, boil noodles in a stock pot for 3-5 minutes and remove promptly and rinse off well).
- Then, in a wide bowl of warm water, add one rice wrapper, and allow it to soak for 15 or so until soft.
- Once moist, carefully place rice wrapper on a glass plate and begin adding a little of each ingredient listed under "For the Spring Roll".
- When the ingredients have been added, click the link at the bottom of the post to find out how to fold the spring roll perfectly. It's a pretty little infographic for folding in a simple way. Start with step 6. And don't worry about the egg wash. You will not need that for rice wrappers because they are sticky when wet.
- NEXT! For the sauce, in the high powered blender, purée all the ingredients listed except for the corn starch + the two tablespoons of water.
- Once blended, place the blended mix into a sauce pan and allow it to come to a boil over medium heat. Stir, and allow this to thicken for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a measuring cup, mix thoroughly the remaining ingredients (corn starch + water) to create a thickener for the sauce in the pan.
- Pour the thickener into the sauce pan, and mix well for about two minutes.
- Once well mixed, and a little thick, remove from heat and allow sauce to cool in the refrigerator.
- Serve the spring rolls with the sauce.
Note: If you are not sure how to roll a spring roll, please click here to find out how to fold the spring roll perfectly.