You know how it is when someone else makes something so good that you never even want to mock it because it was just that good?
That was me…
For all of these years, I avoided making it because I didn’t think I could make a compote that was as good as I had it once when I lived in Laurelwood, Oregon (Yeah, I know..where is Laurelwood? lol).
But today, I am happy to say, I made it, and it turned out unbiasedly better than I have ever had it ~ and it’s vegan!
And then, I made it even more amazing as a dessert, as I accented the compote with my vanilla cupcake recipe as a crumble on top and bottom, and served it warm. It was seriously amazing!
You can create this quick and deliciously fruity dessert as I did, or you can serve the compote alone with your favorite gluten free vegan pancakes, or ice cream.
Or, you could honestly just have the compote by itself as a dessert as they do in France (bonjour!).
I believe the crumble is a fantastic accent though – that vanilla really does something for this dessert.
Try it – it will become a quick staple for sure!
- 2 cupcakes from my very vanilla cupcakes recipe (linked below)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp corn starch
- 2 cup strawberries, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup raspberries, frozen or fresh
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Add brown sugar and corn starch, and stir until dissolved.
- Add the berries, and lemon juice and cook until berries pop and release juice.
- To compose with the vanilla cupcakes:
- After the compote is finished, remove from heat and allow to cool partially.
- After partially cooled, crumble two cupcakes.
- Add most of the crumbled cupcakes to a jar.
- Next, add as much compote sauce as you would like.
- Top with the rest of the crumbled vanilla cupcake, and serve!
The Vanilla Cupcakes <- Click the Link
So, what would you use compote over? Do you eat it by itself? ~Bella