In case you do not know by now, my husband is a proud Jamaican American.
Interestingly though, most people who know us, would never guess that to be the case due to his perfectly American accent (what is an American accent anyway?) ~ He is American in almost every way except for two:
#1- The accent he naturally acquires out of nowhere when around family.
#2- When he is cooking in the kitchen (he is a real Jamaican chef – I admire that).
My husband loves to cook so much and has indeed rendered his talents to my blog (that’s why it’s called “Sweet n’ Savory”… (Read about it on my “about” page).
This is just another one of those recipes I have always wanted to get from him.
Creamy Jamaican style potato salad.
This potato salad is just so savory and delicious. I love it more than the typical American type (sorry guys).
No, it’s not jerk potato salad (I know people love that too!)
But it’s the perfectly Jamaican spiced potato salad ~ classic goodness with a Caribbean flair!
- 8 to 10 regular sized potatoes, washed, peeled, diced, and boiled
- 1⅓ cup soy free vegan mayo
- 2 green onions (or scallions), chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped small
- 1 carrot, finely cut small
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp Grace all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp vegan sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Wash, peel, dice, and boil potatoes until they are soft.
- Once they are soft, drain in a strainer and rinse with cool water.
- Dice celery, green onion, and carrots.
- In a large glass bowl, add the potatoes, celery, green onions, and carrots.
- Add the vegan mayo now, and stir in well the potatoes, celery, green onions, and carrots. If you want more creaminess after you stir this in, add one or two tablespoons more of the vegan mayo.
- Next, add the mustard, sugar, and all of the rest of the seasonings.
- Mix well, and store in refrigerator to chill until ready to be used.
Need some ideas on what to serve it with? Try some rice and beans, or even me and my husband’s signature baked macaroni and cheese!
Note: If you want to know where to buy Grace All Purpose Seasoning click here or visit Walmart.com.