I will just start by saying that I love Vegenaise and Earth Balance mayo. I don’t make it a point to home-make things like these normally because if it’s easily accessible, I typically just purchase it because 99% of the time I make everything from scratch anyway, and I like to save all of the time that I can.
Nevertheless, what I don’t like is when I cannot seem to have my purchased condiments on hand when I seem to need them most.
Has that ever happened to you?
That is just what happened to me on Christmas. Yes, it was Christmas.
We were there, making dinner — making potato salad to be exact, and it happened!
Where is the mayo? — There was none.
Is the store open? — Nope!
Do we really need potato salad with this meal? — Absolutely yes!
So what do we do? — Make our own!
The reality is, making your own mayo is not something that is a walk in the park. It takes a little bit of skill. But don’t be scared away!
Here is what I discovered:
First, it takes the right ingredients (which are listed below)
Second, it takes a good blender – a high powered one.
Third, it takes patience to read/understand the instructions – which aren’t long.
Fourth, I have messed this up before. I cannot stress enough that you need to quickly educate yourself on emulsion (don’t worry, I’ll guide you).
Fifth, it takes the willingness to make it in advance because it’s better once it cools in the refrigerator.
This is truly a perfect mayonnaise. So read thoroughly and you will have the best vegan mayonnaise — all homemade!
- ½ cup original soy milk
- 1-1/4 cup organic canola oil
- ½ to ¾ tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp celtic sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- Pour soy milk in the blender on the lowest speed possible. Start here, and only here.
- Very slowly (important!) drizzle in the oil while the blade is running and basically emulsifying the soy milk/oil. You must do this part, or you will not get thick creamy mayo!
- Once all the oil is added, stop the blender, and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Then, continue blending on low until thick consistency is reached.
- Once complete, place in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator to cool.
This mayo is so creamy, fluffy, and perfect, just make it!